Monday, October 25, 2010

Between Barack and a Hard Place

(Connections)
I thought the videos were interesting and I might read the book. I picked up on one thing Wise talked about which was because Bush was white he was more likly to be taken seriously. This reminded me  of  McIntosh article  White Privilege:Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack in the article she talks about  how being white is a privilege even if we don't know it. "I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks." in this she saying because that because she white it gives her privileges that she did not even know she had but made her life easier. The author makes a comment about how a African American president must work harder than that of a white president for one main reason the person is white. The author calls Bush a bafoon but he was white. I don't remember who said this but this quote has stuck in my head through out all these reading we have done. "My son knows how to be black. You need to teach him how to survive in a white man world." (Not word for word)  This just helps to show that even though we are equal and segregation is gone  it is still harder for African American  to find a job because of the clor of there skin.

In class I would like to talk about why it hared for a African  American person to get a job when there just ad highly qualified as that of a white person.
I found a article I thought was interesting it talks about the loss of jobs and how it might be harder for African Americans to find jobs again in the upturn of this job market.

1 comment:

  1. Nice connections to the other articles in class. I believe "My son knows how to be black. You need to teach him how to survive in a white man world." is Delpit from The Silenced Dialogues. People some times don't realize that racism still exists just because most people are blatantly racist anymore. But the fact that black people have such a harder time getting jobs really says something about our culture.

    ReplyDelete