Saturday, September 25, 2010

Aria By: Richard Rodriguez

(Reflect)
I had to reread the article a couple  times to understand what the author was talking about. Even know I'm not 100% but I do have a basic jist.  When I read the article it made me think about how many children are bilingual and English is not there fist language but we make it there so they can "survive" in a country were English is the common language.

I started student teaching on Monday and while working with two cousins the boy made a goofy mistake and his cousin laughed and called my loco which is Spanish means crazy. I said what did you call him that? She said cus he is loco and I said no he not and it was not nice to say that about him. He did not seem to mind they were just laughing and having a good time. What was interesting was after the conversation the little girl said that she could speak Spanish as fluently as she could speak English.
And I continued my day i noticed that most of the children had either spainish first name or last names.

Though still when they were in the classroom they addressed me in the teacher in English because that was there first language. As you go up in age like when I worked in middle school the children learn quick if they don't want the teacher to know something they said they switch from English which is suppose to be their first language to Spanish because they know that most teachers can either speak little or no Spanish unless they took classes teach it or  speak it themselves.

Ive always heard that someday Spanish is going to become the first language in the US. Though I don't believe it will ever over take English I think it come in a close second.
As Rodruguez says in Aria "What tget seem not to recognize is that, as a socially disadvantaged child, I considered Spanish to be a privet language.  What I needed to learn in school was that I had the right and the obligation to speak the public language of los gringos."  I think people should be able to speak the language they wish.  though no matter what it is it is apperent that english at least in the near fesature will be the number one language in this contry.

While on the web I goggled the term bilingual children and found a article that I think is very relevant to the article by Rodriguez.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, On your comment on Spanish becoming the official language, one of the concepts of the melting pot is that the United States doesn't have an official language, English is not the offical langauage, it is dominant though. I agree with your comment that people should be able to speak what they wish, mostly in the United states because we don't have an "official language". Good reflection.

    ReplyDelete