Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Promising practices cofereance paper

The conference was good. I liked it a lot. It was a early day for me I would never have gotten up that early on a weekend unless I had to. But that was ok. Umm it was a little confusing in the beginning when they could not find my folder because they gave it to someone else with the same last name just one less r. It was kind of funny though we got it sorted out.  I'm quite in general so for the first half hour or so I sat by myself going through and reading the materials. I like the magazine that was in the folder I ready some of the articles one that caught my eye was called Monsters, Devils and Mary Poppins it was about a teacher in California who taught  English to Immigrant students and most of the story was about Halloween and the fun the kids had. There was one  girl who loved her teacher and stayed after school and helped her cleaned the desks and the chalkboards. near Christmas time the child asked the teacher when was her Christmas or all saints days and the told her she didn't have one because she  was Jewish. "The child recoiled as I were suddenly transformed from Mary Poppins to a cruel, monstrous beast. I inadvertently touched my head as if I had grown horns. The pain in Marie Elena's face was real, and she would not allow me to comfort her. Tears welled in her eyes and in mine too. The world is a scary place, with ghosts and monsters lurking where we least expect them to be."  In the end the girl gave the teacher a Christmas present which showed that even though it has taken a while the child was able to overcome her fear of something she did not know. I liked it because it just showed even though ignorance still exist if we as teachers are patient and teach about these difference why there a good thing then we can scare off some of those ghost and monsters that reere there ugly heads when ignorance is present. After that I head to my first workshop called Students with Special needs with Dubrule which talked about how to help kids with special needs and how to make there life easier in the class room. My second workshop was  Destination Fun with Thompson  the workshop was about how to integrate geography into everyday classes wither it math or history.  After the workshop I walked around the career fair. I was not really look for anything in particular but when I went to the education book table I came across a Kozol book which look good so I bought for a bit of light reading. One of the kids from the class saw and when I told her it was just for fun she just shook her head and laughed. I think the most helpful booth was the Sherlock center.  It was great to talk to them and I liked how they brought sample of some of the books they converted so that anyone can read them.  I liked the keynote speaker I will agree he was kind of all over the place but I also think he had a central message. which was that even when a teacher feels like the pressure coming from above is to much and they are all alone there really not. There are other teachers in the same situation and if you reach out you will find a helping hand when you need it.  In the special education workshop I learned different tech to help kids in the classroom. Such as if they are reading a story you can highly difference section so it is easier  for them to find the information. Though I think this is helpful I think it makes the job to easy for those who know what they are doing. It reminded me of Delpit in a negative way. She always says to teach children the rules of the games so that they can learn to survive in this world. But if your doing everything for them and not challenging them to figure out for themselves how can they every learn the rules of the game.  It would be ok if you taught them the rules in a way that worked for them but by basically giving them the answer  they are not learning the rules delpit wants them to learn.  But one thing I liked was she talked about ways of working with "normal" classroom teachers and how to come up with ways so that they will succeed in the classroom. like leaving the homework on the board for more that five seconds because some kids are slower writes than others. This reminds me of the article we just read by Kliewer he talks about total immersion of children with special needs into a general education classroom were the special education teacher and the general education teacher work together to make the classroom assessable for everyone. some of Dubrule suggestions would help accomplish this. "Remember that not all students are the same-what works for one may not work for all-and that's why students have individualized programs." "Many special education students need help with organization-provide check-ins, use assignments books, use note cards and personalized schedules. " "Ask for help when you need it-nobody is expected to do everything! There are many people who can help with your students." these strategies will help you not only help kids with disabilities but also general education students also. These three simple suggestions can make the immersion presses be easier for both teacher and student. The first article I found was a study done by the Vanderbilt Peabody college were they worked with 25 schools in Virgina  which had at least one separate special education classroom but they also have general education classrooms were kids with sever behavioral problems are in the general education classroom and they noticed that teachers attention is usually on these kids and that they think the best solution so that  will help keep order in the classroom is to get the kid out of the room. So this study teaches teacher strategies on how to deal with these children so that they can remain in the general education classroom because once these children are pulled out and placed in the special education room it is really hard for them to ever go back into the general education classroom. The second thing I found was I goggled Dennis Shirley and came across a sight called Mindful teacher. com and it basically brakes down  what he talked about at the conference but in much more detail. One of the thing is the core values.  In the core values they name the seven synergies for mindful teacher which are (1) open-mindfulness (2) caring (3)stopping (4) expertise (5)authentic alignment (6) integration (7) collective responsibilities.   I like the website because it takes what Dr.Shirley talked about at the conference about how we sometimes feel alone like no one understand but in reality your not alone at all you just have to learn to reach to others. This website talks about that and much more of what he said in greater detail.  The third and final video I found really ties in with my second workshop I went to were we learned  different techniques of tying Geography into our everyday classroom lesson. This video is about a charter school which kids during there lunch time meet people from different parts of the world and learn about where they come from and some of there traditions from the contury they came from. I loved this video not only is it educational but it also just plan fun.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the conference had so much to offer you Anne. Great links! LB :)

    ReplyDelete